Speaking of which, where are the girl scouts schlepping their baked goods this year? I'm normally always good for at least one box of their lemon numbers that typically lasts about a half day. Hmmm....
- For the pound cake:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 3/4 cup milk (I used nonfat)
- Zest of 1-2 lemons, finely grated (2 small, 1 large)
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 large or 2 small lemons)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (from half to a full lemon, depending on size)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the glaze:
For the drizzle:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two loaf pans. (4 1/2-by-8-inch loaf pans work best, but if you only have the 9x5 size, that’s fine, your loaves will be longer and a little flatter.)
- In a liquid measuring cup, combine milk with lemon zest and juice. Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl. With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour mixture (with the mixer on low) in three parts alternately with the milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Beat just until it comes together. Do not overmix!
- Divide batter evenly between pans; smooth tops. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 50-60 minutes with the smaller pans, 40-50 minutes with the larger pans. You can tent with foil if they brown too quickly.
- While the cakes are baking, make the glaze by heating granulated sugar and lemon juice in a small pan over low heat. Bring to a simmer and stir. Once sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and let sit until cakes are done.
- Once done, cool cakes 15 minutes in pan. Turn out cakes onto a rack. Use a pastry brush to spread the glaze evenly over the tops and sides of both cakes. Let dry and completely cool, at least 2 hours.
- Make the drizzle by mixing all ingredients with a whisk. Set rack with cakes over a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Pour drizzle over cooled cakes, letting it run down the sides; let dry, about 30 minutes.